The Photographs of William McMurray

Gatehouse of Fleet 100 Years Ago

28 July-20 September 2015

A unique collection of old Gatehouse photographs - the work of William McMurray who lived from 1882 to 1966 and hidden from view for over 50 years.

The McMurray collection of photographs covers the period from the 1890s to the 1920s.

William McMurray took photographs of people and places around Gatehouse and people also came to his house in Catherine Street to be photographed. He took photographs of individuals, couples and family groups. He took photographs of weddings, of the staff at some of the big houses round Gatehouse and also the owners. He recorded the build-up of military activities in the years immediately before the First World War and of local servicemen during the war. He recorded the horse-drawn vehicles of the time but also early motor bikes and cars and he photographed prize horses and rams.

Thanks to the great interest in the McMurray photographs the names of more people and places are becoming known but there are still many to identify. It is hoped that people returning to Gatehouse over the summer will be able to recognise their forebears and help bring life back to these old images.

During 2014 a number of photographs were exhibited at the Mill on the Fleet in the hope that some of the people might be identified. Shortly before Christmas a family came into the Mill and they noticed that they had the same photo at home. It was a splendid photograph of James Dougan and his family about 1910. James was a shepherd, who lived at Cauldside, Skyreburn.

 

Search this site ...

Contact Us

Front Desk & Information Centre
01557 814099

Café
01557 814099

Address
Mill on the Fleet
High Street
Gatehouse of Fleet
DG7 2HS

 

Open
The Exhibition Floor, Information, and Bookshop is open from late March until the end of October each year.
10am-5pm Daily

Admission Free
to Mill and Exhibitions

Tickets to events, concerts, and Mill Sessions can be bought online through TicketSource.